Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Bookshelf: Fall Picks

I'm always on the lookout for new reads and new reasons to deplete my meager paycheck. Luckily for me, I've come across a couple that are right up the alley for this blog. First:

 Servant of the Underworld by Aliette De Bodard

Year One-Knife, Tenochtitlan – the capital of the Aztecs. The end of the world is kept at bay only by the magic of human sacrifice. A priestess disappears from an empty room drenched in blood. Acatl, high priest, must find her, or break the boundaries between the worlds of the living and the dead. But how do you find someone, living or dead, in a world where blood sacrifices are an everyday occurrence and the very gods stalk the streets?

Once I read that description, I knew this and the rest of the trilogy was going on my shopping list. Merry Christmas to me! Aliette's blog is also a good place to find out more about her world.

Then there's :

Meiji: Book One by Milton Davis

On the continent of Uhuru, in the grasslands of the Sesu, Inkosi Dingane is granted his wish. His Great Wife Shani bears him a son, an heir to his growing empire. But the ancestors have plans of their own. Shani bears him twin boys, meji, an abomination among the Sesu, but a blessing to Shani’s people, the Mawena.

Thus begins the story of two brothers destined to transform their world. One brother, Ndoro, fights for his place among the Sesu, hoping to shed the stigma of abomination. The other, Obaseki, grows to a man among the people of his mother, struggling with a gift that alienates him from his family and eventually leads to his exile. Both brothers set out to find his destiny, traveling through teeming savannah, mysterious forests, haunted ocean cliffs and infernal deserts, fulfilling a prophecy that would change them and their world forever.

I've had the pleasure of speaking with Mr. Davis and he is one of the biggest advocates for African based fantasy. The other being Charles Saunders, but I'll get to him in another post. If you have to beg, borrow, or steal (okay, don't steal) seek out this wonderful work.

Now that I've shown a couple of my picks, does anyone know of some other writers I'm missing? Who are your favorite authors in this vein of fantasy?

No comments:

Post a Comment